[A83] Re: Grey scale(and enterlacing, is that the right word for it?)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Patai Gergely wrote:

> > Mike, I made a program that flickered the screen with about 130 FPS
> > black-white-black-white and it was awesome ugly gray it flickered
> > all the time. The TI-83 is just not fast enough with it's LCD driver
> > delay to make nice fullscreen grayscale.
>
> You're wrong. It's possible to make smooth grey on the 83.  The
> problem with your solution was that you did not align the software
> refresh with the hardware refresh of the lcd, causing kind of an
> interference on the screen. You have to put delays in between two
> frames and increase the length of this delay until the flicker
> disappears. I've actually done it. What's really difficult to overcome
> is that you have to adjust the delay all the time as the battery gets
> weaker...  And in a game you have to calculate exactly how many clocks
> were taken to draw one frame. Well, it would be quite easy if there
> was a RDTSC instruction on the z80. :)

My routine doesn't suffer from that. I don't know exactly why that is, but
most likely because a frame consists of both buffers and not one buffer as
with classic grey scale routines.

Follow-Ups: References: