[A83] Re: lcd driver

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[A83] Re: lcd driver

At 03:03 2001-12-07, you wrote:

>Besides the size, do you really think it's that much cheaper?  I seem to
>remember the 86 being around $120, and the 83 being $80 (when they first
>came out), but there's got to be a lot more to it than the LCD.  I wouldn't
>think the difference in price would be more than about $0.50 per unit.  Now,
>I do realize that every penny you save on hardware amounts to a lot when you
>are selling hundreds of thousands or millions of units, but I don't see it
>being directly proportional to the increased price of the calc.

The key to makeing things cheaper isn't to change only one thing, it is a
lot of stuff, and I only say that this is probably one of all those little
trickles. $0.5 per unit is a lot. how many hundreds of thousands of ti83 is
made you think?
I don't think even ti with their size whould say no to a $500.000 that
easily saved.
And it is ofcourse not only this part that is saved on.
Also consider that the original 83 is quite old. And probably the 82 was
also designed like this, wich is even older. Probably the savings back then
was even more then it is today, and then when designing the 83, why change
the working concept?
And they probably thought any other design, like when they design the 85,
was a bit overkill, but it was then the best and most advanced calc they
had ever made, so why not?
If you really want to know, try find one of the guys on the design team on
TI and ask him why they chosed this lcd controller and not another.
I can do no other things then guess.

///Olle