Re: A83: Could we get back to the subject?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83: Could we get back to the subject?

In a message dated 06/03/00 21:42:26 GMT Standard Time, david@acz.org writes:

<< But, yes, it could be done on a z80.  I'm just pointing out that you can't
 exactly compare the cpu's in that manner.  I have an engine for the 86 (in
 grayscale, of course) that is sort of similiar to Gauntlet, and I worked on
 it for about six months.  About 13,000 lines of assembly code.  Some things
 are trivial, but a game like that is definitely not. >>

I don't think Gauntlet needs anything that complex. My Lode Runner engine
which supports a 32x32 tile map and 8x8 pixel sprites could do it (and that's
only 250 lines :)) ; most of the Gauntlet objects seem to be a fixed size. It
would probably have to scroll at 2 pixel resolution though due to the larger
number of sprites. The big problem with scrolling games is visibility :(

Most of them do the same things as well ; there are probably only half a dozen
object classes in the game with minor variations. The maps would probably
have to be written using a "drawing coding language" rather than being stored
in raw data format to fit a decent size game in.

Maybe I'll do it once I've finished Berzerk :)