Re: A83:BASIC Question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83:BASIC Question

Havn't you noticed that their have been a lot of basic questions asked
here lately?  GO ON THE BASIC LIST!!!! If you only need to ask one
question then ask it there then unsubscribe! *note* don't ask us how to
unsubscribe!
(KSA)Tekken

On Fri, 05 Mar 1999 06:15:13 -0500 Surth <_surth_@ameritech.net> writes:
>I know this is an asm lict, but I needed help with this question.  I
>know how to store #'s to a List, but I am tring to save a String as a
>List name.
>
>"Jacob W. Tatay" wrote:
>

>> Surth wrote:
>>
>>> This is a question concerning BASIC....since I do not want to go
>and
>>> sign up and
>>> do all of that stuff for one question about BASIC I hope one of
>you
>>> guys will help
>>> me out.
>>>
>>> Is there any way to (inside of a program) take a string and save
>it
>>> as the name of
>>> a List for later reference?
>>> I have tried simpily saving the string as L String 1   but this
>will
>>> not work,
>>> further more the farthest I  have been able to save from a string
>>> is:  String 1
>>> --> Y1(being the first "Y" function / Variable).
>>> If anyone out there could help me, please do........

>> THE OS THAT WILL NEVER DIE >>>>>>>>>>>>> U - N - I - X !!!!
>> --------------------------
>>
>> Surth, I am assuming you have a TI 83.
>>
>> If you are trying to use a string as a pointer (C++ term, oh, no!!)
>> List 1, forget
>> about it.  TI-BASIC is just that BASIC!!! Not advanced, like C++,
>or
>> ASM.
>>
>> (PS. A pointer points to something, that is a variable that could
>> point to the
>> memory address of another (If anyone has a better explanation, give
>> it!!!  I
>> have not used C++ pointers for a year or so)
>>

>> You can not save a string to a list variable, the following would
>be
>> invalid
>>
>> str0 -> L1(1) //Store string 0 in list 1 item 1
>> Nor would the following be valid:
>> "Hello" -> L1(1) //You will not know if invalid, until you view
>list
>> and get
>>                  //a data match error!!!
>>
>> However you have 10 string variables, use them.  E.G.:
>>
>> str0 -> str1  //transfer the contents of str0 to str1
>>
>> Then to clear str0, overwrite it.
>>
>> "Overwrite" -> str0
>>
>> You can create a list in a program.  Let us say in a program we
>want
>> to save 5 numbers to
>> a list we will call LIST5.  To do so then
>>
>> prgmLFIVE
>> :{1,2,3,4,5} -> lLIST5 //store list to LIST5
>>
>> (NOTE, for the sub "L", go go [2nd][STAT] , then go to OPS, and
>press
>> [ALPHA][B], then type in LIST5,
>> or what ever the name you want it to be (as long as it is 5 chars
>or
>> less!!!)
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> (Please note this is an assembly list)

> [...]

"A 'Sprite' is computer jargon for a picture that is moved across a
screen.  Look at
any arcade game, and all those little moving parts are sprites."
-James Matthews

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]