Re: A83:BASIC Question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A83:BASIC Question

Surth wrote:

This is a question concerning BASIC....since I do not want to go and sign up and
do all of that stuff for one question about BASIC I hope one of you guys will help
me out.

Is there any way to (inside of a program) take a string and save it as the name of
a List for later reference?
I have tried simpily saving the string as L String 1   but this will not work,
further more the farthest I  have been able to save from a string is:  String 1
--> Y1(being the first "Y" function / Variable).
If anyone out there could help me, please do........

THE OS THAT WILL NEVER DIE >>>>>>>>>>>>> U - N - I - X !!!!

Surth, I am assuming you have a TI 83.

If you are trying to use a string as a pointer (C++ term, oh, no!!) to List 1, forget
about it.  TI-BASIC is just that BASIC!!! Not advanced, like C++, or ASM.

(PS. A pointer points to something, that is a variable that could point to the
memory address of another (If anyone has a better explanation, give it!!!  I
have not used C++ pointers for a year or so)

You can not save a string to a list variable, the following would be invalid

str0 -> L1(1) //Store string 0 in list 1 item 1
Nor would the following be valid:
"Hello" -> L1(1) //You will not know if invalid, until you view list and get
                 //a data match error!!!

However you have 10 string variables, use them.  E.G.:

str0 -> str1  //transfer the contents of str0 to str1

Then to clear str0, overwrite it.

"Overwrite" -> str0

You can create a list in a program.  Let us say in a program we want to save 5 numbers to
a list we will call LIST5.  To do so then

prgmLFIVE
:{1,2,3,4,5} -> lLIST5 //store list to LIST5

(NOTE, for the sub "L", go go [2nd][STAT] , then go to OPS, and press [ALPHA][B], then type in LIST5,
or what ever the name you want it to be (as long as it is 5 chars or less!!!)

I hope this helps.

(Please note this is an assembly list)

Coming Soon....
http://netxight.virtual-power.net