Re: A83: TAZM...(not so very ***VITAL*** if you ask me)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 07:03 PM 6/1/99 +0200, you wrote:
>On 01-Jun-99, you wrote:
>
>> 2)  Cleaner, shorter code (a bit obvious from the above example, no?)
>>  a)  Simplified multiple address references (previous example).
>>  b)  Register math!!!  I can't count how many times I've just wanted to
type:
>>      ld a, (a+b+c) << 2   (in IDEAL mode) and had to type:
>>      ld a,a \ add a,b \ add a,c \ add a,a   instead.
>
>And forget what asm is all about? Nah!! Asm is supposed to be a mnemonic way
>of expressing the actual hardware instructions given to the processor, not
>some kind of foolin' around in Basic. The whole point of enjoying asm is that
>you get to understand what actually happens inside that mysterious silicon
>clod.

IDEAL mode __IS__ ASM.  I, for one, find the x86 IDEAL mode quite easy to
use.  Whatever you are thinking, there is zero Basic code there.  If
anything, it looks more like C code...except it uses registers.  If THAT is
your complaint, you need not be worried since register math is
optional...as well as IDEAL mode.  The only thing that has to be converted
are paranthesis referring to addresses.

If you are concerned that you will have to change the way you write code,
there is hardly any need to worry about that.  IDEAL mode is only an
extension to source that allows simplified programming.  You are mistaking
this to be simplified "Basic" programming that uses ASM as an extension.
If you don't want to use IDEAL mode, that's okay.  I'm only presenting it
as an option to all programmers.  You will still get to "understand what
actually happens inside that mysterious silicon clod."  You may say this is
"not so vital," but it really is vital for the future of Z80 programming.

As a side note, when IDEAL mode was first created for x86 processors,
people had similar concerns but they addressed the issues just as I
have...and IDEAL mode stuck.  I have so far had several complaints, but
from serious x86 programmers, I have had great support.  I'm still waiting
for everyone to debate a bit on the subject before making the final specs.
on TAZM.  IDEAL mode has so many positives to it, I really believe that it
can only help the TI community.

Shining Light Productions motto has always been "Meeting the Needs of
Fellow Programmers" and will continue to do so.  If the TI community
doesn't want IDEAL mode, then it will be so.  If they want it, then it will
be so.  Shining Light Productions is flexible and thus I want you to give
IDEAL mode a chance.  You have only been given a glimpse as to the power of
IDEAL mode, so I propose that we (as a TI community) all try it out, and if
we don't like it, then IDEAL mode will be no more.  If we like it, IDEAL
mode will stay.  It's as simple as that.

        Thomas J. Hruska -- shinelight@detroit.crosswinds.net
                   http://www.shininglightpro.com/