Re: A82: Galaxian v3.0 w/ autofire...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

At 12:56 PM 5/9/98 PDT, you wrote:
>>1)  Autofire speeds up too quickly to it's maximum rate (this is easily
>>fixed).
>    Try to make it not speed up at all. Try to keep it firing at 5-10
>shots per second. Anymore or any speeding up would ruin Galaxian's
>challenge. Beating the final super bosses would only take a few seconds
>if you had autofire going at 30-50 shots per second. At that speed,
>autofire would ruin the game, and I would be obligated to not allow you
>to release it publicly. The autofire's enormous speed was what really
>turned me away from wanting it in the previous versions. Remember I was
>opposed to the whole auto-fire concept, but the sheer number of people
>who preferred the version convinced me to allow its release. Autofire
>with acceptable speed I will permit, but I'm not going to let it ruin
>the game.

I have come up with a new formula for calculating the rate of the bullets
(initial rate = 10) compared to lives:

A = 10-int ((Level)/2)+(9-(Lives))
If A < 3 Then A = 3
Rate = A

This keeps autofire at the same rate as before but spreads it out over the
levels.  Super-Boss #2 and the O-enemies on level 20 will be the only ones
that will possibly be able to have the 30-50 shots/second...providing the
user doesn't lose a single life.  If the user makes it to those levels
without dying, they deserve a break and I believe that the 30-50
shots/second will make their efforts seem worthwhile.

>   TASM should have absolutely no problem with having a Boss_Shoot and a
>boss_shoot label. I have no trouble compiling, however, if you are
>having trouble compiling I suggest changing the Boss_Shoot label to
>Boss_Shoots. Boss_Shoot only appears in one place in the source so

What command-line options are you using to compile Galaxian?  There has to
be a case-sensitive option someplace.  Anyway, I already figured out my
problem and fixed it...stupid infinite loop with the Super-Boss.

>:)I bet that was a longer response then you wanted.

Yup.

                 Thomas J. Hruska -- thruska@tir.com
                    http://shinelight.home.ml.org