Re: A82: Galaxian v3.0 w/ autofire...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A82: Galaxian v3.0 w/ autofire...

>Evil Sam, I attempted to patch the autofire routine into Galaxian v3.0
and
>three things happened:
>
>1)  Autofire speeds up too quickly to it's maximum rate (this is easily
>fixed).
    Try to make it not speed up at all. Try to keep it firing at 5-10
shots per second. Anymore or any speeding up would ruin Galaxian's
challenge. Beating the final super bosses would only take a few seconds
if you had autofire going at 30-50 shots per second. At that speed,
autofire would ruin the game, and I would be obligated to not allow you
to release it publicly. The autofire's enormous speed was what really
turned me away from wanting it in the previous versions. Remember I was
opposed to the whole auto-fire concept, but the sheer number of people
who preferred the version convinced me to allow its release. Autofire
with acceptable speed I will permit, but I'm not going to let it ruin
the game.

>2)  The 'O' Enemies didn't shoot and I don't think the bosses did
either.
>3)  2 1/2 seconds after the Mega Boss came on the screen, the game
locked
>up.  Could be related to how many shots are being fired per second
(about
>30-50).
>Also, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I
compiled
>it, TASM didn't like the two "boss_shoot" line labels and complained.
So,
>I changed the call boss_shoot located inside the Boss_Shoot routine to
call
>boss_shoot2 and the boss_shoot line label (not Boss_Shoot) to
boss_shoot2.
>Do I also need to change the rest of the call boss_shoot (not the call
>Boss_Shoot) lines to call boss_shoot2?  Thanx.

   TASM should have absolutely no problem with having a Boss_Shoot and a
boss_shoot label. I have no trouble compiling, however, if you are
having trouble compiling I suggest changing the Boss_Shoot label to
Boss_Shoots. Boss_Shoot only appears in one place in the source so
change the "call Boss_Shoot" to "call Boss_Shoots" under the "csl" label
fixes everything. Changing the lower case boss_shoot label screws things
up because the lower case label is called in like 12 different places.
Because you changed "boss_shoot" to "boss_shoot2" without changing the
10+ calls to boss_shoot to boss_shoot2(thats a shitty sentence), the
bosses don't shoot and neither do the 0's enemies because they use the
same firing technique as the bosses. The super boss probably locked up
the game because it uses boss_shoot label twice. Since there was a delay
before the super boss locked up the calc, then it must have been when it
was supposed to fire its weapon.
   Sam

:)I bet that was a longer response then you wanted.