Re: A82: How Much Can the Linkport be used?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Kurai Highsmith wrote:

>         I was thinking of writing a 2-player toned down secret of mana
> type game, or a 2-player battle type game. I am wondering how fast the
> linkport is...and if it would be able to support the constant flow of
> data needed for a game like this (concerning the other players coords
> and sprites, the scrolling of the map, etc...). I think I would make
> the map not scroll, butbe vividly designed otherwise...and perhaps give
> the 1st player the ability to change screens, so there's no contest
> there...oh well, just a thought...those with experience, how plausible
> is this?
>                                                     ~Kurai

The link should be able to handle continuous sending of coordinates, but
you inferred that you'd be sending sprites and such.. that'd be too slow.
The other large problem is the amount of memory in the ti-82.. not really
enough to support much of an RPG unless you at LEAST attempted to compress
the graphics and used some creative programming methods (ie, recycling
sprites and textures, not storing maps as bitmaps but rather as positions
of sprites, etc).

					-zixyer