A82: The Sprite Routines by CrASH_Man

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

A82: The Sprite Routines by CrASH_Man

To Thomas J. Hruska specifically (and any other people who seem to be criticizing
me about my routines)--

Umm...  I spent about two weeks in all perfecting this routine that I wrote FROM
SCRATCH after porting some of my own stuff from x86...

First of all, OPTIMIZING has nothing to do with taking other people's code- you can
optimize your own routines.  Optimize means "to make most efficient," not "to take
other people's stuff and make better."  Why is
it that you have to complain about EVERYTHING I do?

Secondly, I made this clipping sprite routine in x86 assembler for screen mode 13h--
which was extremely nasty to code, but I optimized it every minute of day last year
until I chopped it down to about 83 clock cycles/block (Ask baru about that one,
he actually saw me).  I worked on porting it to TI-82 for about 10 days about September
'97 during my boring english days in class.  I finally chopped it down to its current
size and then made it clip and do an OR/XOR mask (which was easier to code at the
time).  Baru was even amazed at how I had already made a clipper back in september
(again, you can ask him) which I wrote for ASH, because we hadn't even started writing
CrASH yet.  (In the documents, I originally even labeled it as "For ASH3" because
it introduced self-modifying code) If you want to see that file, I'll send it to
you.

I pulled out that code a couple days ago (around friday 2/13/98) and spent another
two days modifying the code to make it use an AND/XOR mask (which was easier to use).
 I knew that no-one would use code that they don't understand (which was the case
with OR/XOR masks) so I had to change it to become an AND/XOR mask.  I hadn't even
known that you had your own sprite routine-- I never downloaded it :)  Also, clipping
and masking are not things that only you guys can come up with (when were you guys
talking about masked sprites or clipped sprites on A82??)-- I used my OR/XOR clipping
routine already in MineSeeker (that was December '97) and nobody complained... I
even talked about giving OBD and Sk0g, two other A82 programmers you can probably
find in #ti or #ti-files a lot, a
copy of my OR/XOR clipping routine (which they never needed) way back in november.

So anyways, I don't think you are treating me very fairly-- I spend hours optimizing
my sprite routines and I get this kind of negative response?  I don't think that
that last mail you sent was necessary.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for those of you who were not interested in reading
this piece of mail.

  [CrASH_Man]

PS-  END OF DISCUSSION -- let's not get any furthur into this stuff-- A82 lists was
intended to be an assembly informational mailing list- let's not make it be Accusation-of-Plagiarism-82
or Grammar/Spelling-Check-82 :)

PS2-  If someone really wants a copy of that old clipping routine that I had that
does OR/XOR masking, or even the one that clips but had no
masking, please drop me a message.

http://www.mailexcite.com