This game kept me amused for all of the five minutes it's worth.
1. The AI is horrible, falling for the simplest foolsmate. (checkmate in 4 moves?!) Also, it doesn't understand how to checkmate. (It's more material-oriented)
2. There is no difference between amateur and beginner except that one of them has a purposely inserted pause between each move.
3. The CPU priority is useless. After setting it to each mode and making the same moves, the AI didn't make one different choice.
4. The figurine mode has pawns that are dots and squares that are dots...the stauton mode has extremely similar pawns and bishops...and the alphabet has hard-to-see diagonals.
5. It won't work in Mirage OS!
6. The abilities of the program itself are questionable. Sometimes it won't let me move a piece even though doing so won't put my king in check.
However, because this game is the only one of its kind on the TI-83, I would rate it an overall 25/40.