[TI-M] Re: complex matrixs etc.

[Prev][Index][Thread]

[TI-M] Re: complex matrixs etc.

I've run into this before but never bothered to deal with it - I don't use matrices much.  You'll
see the problem if you actually type in the matrices without the solve:
[1,2;5,4]*[x;y]=[4,11]
The calc gives you [x+2y=4;3x+4y=11].  I don't believe that there is any way to actually make the
calc solve this directly.  However, you can go a couple of ways:

- Type your equation, hit enter, grab the [x+2y=4;3x+4y=11], add a solve, and change to
solve(x+2y=4 and 3x+4y=11,{x,y})

- Write a program that looks like this: (the ->'s are supposed to be stores)

msolve(equ,varlist)
Func
Local i,j,equlist
true->equlist
For i,1,dim(equ)[1]
For j,1,dim(equ)[2]
equlist and equ[i,j]->equlist
EndFor
EndFor
Return expr("solve("&string(equlist)&","&string(varlist)
EndFunc

Yes, this will be a bit slow to run.  The second to last line with all the string crap is because
the calculator is stupid and will not take varlist with a passed value of {x,y} - it says
"argument must be a variable name" - but if you convert it to a string and back (sort of like as
if you typed it) it works.

Jeffrey