Re: TI-M: math class

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-M: math class

Well, since you didn't specify the details of your problem, it is
difficult to be sure that my advice is applicable, but here goes:

Probably, you forgot to take into account the multivalued inverse
functions that you are implicitely using.  For example:

Suppose you have x^2+y^2=r^2 (it's a circle with radius r centered at
x=y=0).  You solve for y and get

y = sqrt(r^2-x^2)

You graph that, and you get a semicircle on the top half of the coordinate
plane.  The reason you don't get a circle is that you haven't taken into
account that the square root has two values i.e. sqrt(4) = 2 or
sqrt(4)=-2.

So what you need to do is graph the two functions
,
| y = sqrt(r^2-x^2)
| y = - sqrt(r^2-x^2)
`

On the TI, you can do this using one line by saying

y1 = {1,-1} sqrt(r^2-x^2)

hope this helps,

Andy

--
Andy Selle <aselle@ticalc.org>
   Programming and System Administration, Survey Editor, Accounts Manager