Re: TI-H: (OT about Grant's 486/68000)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: (OT about Grant's 486/68000)

From: J D <starkruzr@hotmail.com>
> Oh, come on.  It's just a matter of shielding the damn things.  I'm sure a
> PII can't be that much harder to shield than a Pentium or a 386.
> I think it's just plain, blind bureaucracy.  Pentium IIs and whatever else
> haven't been past some joker's desk yet, and the papers for whatever
haven't
> been filed, so, SORRY astronauts, no soup for you.

Sorry, shielding is very expensive, the amount of radiation received in
orbit is far higher than that received on the ground.  The chips used in
spacecraft are special radiation hardened versions specially built for
the rigors of space travel.  The slower processors are less complex
and therefore cheaper, easier to produce, and less prone to errors.
Intel is however working on a radiation hardened version of the pentium
that will be used in future spacecraft.

Besides that, the 386 is plenty of power for what they need.  All the
software and operating systems are custom written, its not like they
are trying to push around a Microsoft operating slug.

DK

Follow-Ups: References: