Re:TI-H: Re: Grant: Master of AOL (NOT!)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re:TI-H: Re: Grant: Master of AOL (NOT!)

OF stands for OpenFirmware.  You can do lots.  You have complete controll
of the processor before its loaded the OS.  Just like the PCs BIOS.  Apple
hasn't let consumers access the BIOS until PCI.  Then, they don't tell you
how to access it.

command+option+o+f

>SWEET MOTHER OF MERCY, My poor 6200 has no PCI, What can I do in OF? WHAT
>CAN I DO?
>
>>The mac has alaways had a text OS used for debuging.
>>
>>To get an idea of what goes on durring the startup (in text) install the
>>mach_kernel and look at all the firmware messages.  Says everything you
>>need to know and more about your computer.
>>
>>If you have a Power Mac with a PCI bus, the hold down command+option+O+F
>>and you will enter BIOS.  Do this before the computer gets to the happy
>>face.
>>
>>You can force the computer to startup off of a linux kernel without ever
>>seeing the Macos by changing the bootdevice.  You can also change the
>>startup resolution.  It will also tell you how many BOGO MIPS you have...
>>
>>pretty cool...
>>
>>Grant
>
>---
>I pledge allegiance to the Mac of Apple Computer Incorporated, and to the
>developers for which it stands, one platform, under Jobs, indestructible,
>with creativity and multimedia for all.

Follow-Ups: References: