TI-H: TI-86 Slowdown problem, more info

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: TI-86 Slowdown problem, more info

Ok, I picked up the 'scope last night and did some testing
in the calc.

The interter output looks something like this:

----                     -----------

The wave runs at 400 cycles per second, 85 volts.
It is actually stepped like that, but a little more
curved, and with more steps than I have show here,
about 12 steps in 5ms.

The voltage at the power supply when the inverter
is running looks something like this:

       _/ / / / / /
     _/
____/              ________

You can see it ramp up at the beginning of each
cycle, then peak out for the remainder of each
cycle.

The system oscillator (taken from the driven
contact where the turbo capacitor is) looks a bit
like this:

_________________    _________________

The "XXXX" parts are just kind of solid, fat
bands, I can't get any better resolution with
my scope, so I don't know what exactly is happening
there.
The "|" characters are where there is a very brief,
very regular dip in the voltage.
Unfortuanately I can't remember the timing info here,
I'll get it again to night (I wasn't taking notes).

If the inverter is switched on, the clock goes
to the "XXXX" mode only, just a big, fat line on
the scope, and the calc slows down.
Curiously, when the inverter goes off, the scope
does not change, but the calc speeds back up!?

I put a big electrolytic across the leads of the
inverter as a filter, which smoothed out some of
the ripple a bit, but it didn't help with the
slowdown.
Can someone suggest some other filtering techniques
which might help?
I'll post timing data and (hopefully), some scans
of the acutal waveforms.

I really need to get this solved people, I've got
a TI-86 here that I'm sure the owner would really
like to get back, thanks for anything you might
be able to suggest!!

DK