Re: Toll Booth and junk (was Re(fcc): TI-H: Radio/In...)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Toll Booth and junk (was Re(fcc): TI-H: Radio/In...)

>>From: "Jon Olson" <morph@jmss.com>
>>No no no, use a bit map...that way you don't have to keep checking
>sector
>>after sector, or even fat entry after fat entry to find a free
>one...one
>>sector can hold info for 4096 sectors (1 bit per sector).
>
>Sure, but it makes defragmentation much more complex,
>and requires maintaining chain pointers to other bits
>of the file.  I agree that a chained system is more
>useful for large systems with frequently changing files
>(frequently = many times a day), but the player just
>doesn't need that kind of system.
>
>Also makes it a pain in the ass to get a list of all
>the files in the system if you don't have a list of
>files somewhere (who wants to search the whole drive
>surface looking for start chains), and if you have
>a file list somewhere, why not just store all the
>info there and leave the files in one piece?

The file listing are a set of pointers at the end of the drive.  The volume
bitmap is stored before the pointers, which stack downward.  The size of
the bitmap depends on the block size you choose and the size of the drive.

Grant