Re: TI-H: New Calculator!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: New Calculator!!!

Ok...this is pissing me off....no one seemed to have deat my message
that was accedentally posted 3 times about this same idea...but
cmoon...sound? you people want game...a calculator is for math...I love
the idea of hacking it to do cool stuff..but when you are out of school
and in the real world and people see you with an oversized calculator
with 128Mg of ram with a P2...why not buy a Palmtop? let's see it has
sound..games...4 colour grey OR 256 COLOR LCR!!! If you want games...buy
Visual C++ and a palmtop...a calculator is for math...a gui is nice for
quicker navigating and the temp sensor is nice..but everything else is
games for nothing...not the future but for the short present...think
REALISTIC, not fun and game that will be trashed in 4 years

>From: am281@yfn.ysu.edu
>Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 14:28:58 -0500
>To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
>Subject: Re: TI-H: New Calculator!!!
>

>I LOVE IT!!  One of the best NEW idea on this list
>for days, if you can do it, you've got one more supporter!
>

>>Why not make a whole new calculator!!! You could buy a standard, off
the
>>shelf Z80, add as much SRAM as you can fit into it, and use a large
>>Nonvolitle memory chip in place or ROM. Make the board and
everything!!!
>>It can have built in solder spots for RS-232, Parallel, SPinTerface,
and
>>DBA! add a cheap PIA (Peripheral interface adapter) to it and you
could
>>have 3 8-bit ports to play with. Use a graphics module from Digi-Key
or
>>Mouser, designed with built in EL backlighting. You could even pick a
>>small color one, or, you could use a VIC (Video interface chip) to
make
>>NTSC color output. use an NTSC compatible LCD and have a video out
that
>>could connect to a TV (great for presentations)!!! A SID (sound
>>interface device) would make a GREAT sound generator (12 bit I
think!!!)
>>Even a simple MAX 038 wave form generator will work. Make it with a
>>crystal, and include an IRdA chip on the RS-232. Either use AAs or
have
>>a high power battery. Big case, whatever!!! I have the skills to
design
>>the hardware (probably). If it's realy something everyone's interested
>>in, who knows!!! The ROM could possibly look at the DBA (direct bus
>>access) port, to look for ROM cartridges, then look at a certain
address
>>for internal ROM instructions, and then, finaly, if nothing is found,
>>request data over the calc net via RS-232. There should be a standard
>>link port added as well, if we can emulate the other calcs. Also, I
>>remember a LONG time ago, someone mentioned the Strong Arm processor.
>>Why not??? I heard it uses less power than a stock Z80 and is fairly
>>cheap as well! Who thinks it's worth a try??? Maybe we could emulate
ALL