Re: TI-H: Fixing Grant's friend's PC

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Fixing Grant's friend's PC

>>Umm, ever hear of a little company called IBM that sold hundreds of
>>mainframes costing 10x that much?  Of course, they had high speed dot
>>matrix (not laser) printers back then.
>
>Back then the majority of people thought a computer wiht a GUI wasn't meant
>to do serious work...

Yeah, businesses back then bought multi-million dollar computers just
for the hell of it, not to do serious work!  Yep, that must be the
reason! :)

>>And in any case, SGI and Sun still routinely sell thousands of
>>desktop-sized computers that cost $50,000 or more, I know because I
>>frequentyly work on them.
>
>Suns and SGIs have a *reason* for costing that much...  :)

Uhh, no they don't :)...

You take an ultrasparc or SGI 02 or even a realityengine^2 (which
still cost about 1/2 million, our comm. department has one), and
explain to me why they cost 10x to 100x more than a typical pentium PC
yet don't get nearly 10x better performance, not to mention every real
software application for them costs over $10,000.  After all the SGI's
and sun's I've worked on, I would *never* trade in my PII-400 for one,
unless it was free (then I'd sell it :).

To me, those things are only good for high-end graphics, quake-gl, and
those cool little graphics demos they have on them (like that liquid
toaster thing on the o2's).  Oh yeah, netscape runs pretty well on
those things too :).

The days of the high end and high-$$$ workstation are over, and
everyone knows it.

-Mel

Follow-Ups: References: