Re: TI-H: Power PC

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Power PC

Richard Piotter wrote:

> Well, no OS these days are crash proof. Errors will always occur. I personaly
> (from EXPIRIENCE) have decided that win 95 is at least or less stable than Mac
> OS 8.1, which, has not crashed on my computer for over a month!!! And I never
> shut down my computer. I only put it into a low power sleep mode. I love my
> Mac, and I utterly hate my PC. I haven't used it for over 2 months, and 3
> months before that!!! I just don't care for it much.

Ever used a linux machine? At school we have a server that's been up for
about
160 days. No commercial OS that I've ever used (including NT) can even
come
close. There are some UNIX machines out there with 4-5 year uptimes. No
joke.
If the programmer has any kind of clue, there should never be a crash
capable
of taking down an entire protected mode OS. Of course bugs in
kernel-level
code can cause a crash, but a protected mode program in theory is
abstracted
enough to keep it from really screwing things up.

> I realize the Mac OS has been very unstable for quite some time, but it has
> improved and I don't notice when it does crash. Also, when it does, I usualy
> pull out of it with >G FINDER in the DEBUG box (Command power). I may lose the
> work I'm on if I didn't save, but it preserves all the other programs. I can
> save them all, and restart, but i rarely do. Over the last month I did that 3
> times, and never restarted. Still running fine right now!
>
> I do aggree though that the Mac OS is quite bloated and slow, and needs major
> improvement in tose lines. For example, if I'm online, and I'm typing into a
> form on an html documaent, the text I type lags because it is spending too
> much processing power on the connection. A modern OS could cycle between all
> and keep everything runing efficiently. (Mac OS X hopefuly soon!) Even Mac OS
> 8.5 sounds like one heck od an upgrade. Not realy major in general, but major
> individual improvements. I look forward to both upgrades.

I suspect that's a hardware shortcoming, not something that can be
solved by
new code. Macs do practically EVERYTHING in software, which really ticks
me
off. Those USR softmodem things also use the CPU as a DSP for tone
generation,
and as you can imagine if you start playing an mp3 your connection HANGS
UP.
What a great idea, all that so USR can make another $5 per modem by
yanking out
a cheap dedicated modem processor. Unfortunately, that mentality has
been
with apple for far longer than its been with USR.

--
Bryan Rittmeyer
mailto:bryanr@flash.net