Re: TI-H: Power PC

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Power PC

Wow...  Well, your laptop isn't that high up in the line.  a 117MHz 603 is
about equal to a 90MHz 601.

>I do aggree though that the Mac OS is quite bloated and slow, and needs major
>improvement in tose lines. For example, if I'm online, and I'm typing into a
>form on an html documaent, the text I type lags because it is spending too
>much processing power on the connection. A modern OS could cycle between all
>and keep everything runing efficiently. (Mac OS X hopefuly soon!) Even Mac OS
>8.5 sounds like one heck od an upgrade. Not realy major in general, but major
>individual improvements. I look forward to both upgrades.

Mac OS is real cool, and optimized.  It is 33 percent faster on the G3...
They aren't as fast as they are going to get.  :)

The G4 is going to be released this winter, or Q1 of 1999.  This guy at
PowerMac of alaska was talking to apple about how BP (British Petro)
switched to PC.

So, apple basically said we will send you a G4, but if it gets even a
scratch we will fine your butt.

The G4 1,000MHz computer was able to do a siesmic readout in 1 minute and
23 seconds.  The DEC (I couldn't realy see the logo clear enough) computer
they had with 8 300MHz PIIs took 28 minutes.  :)

We could only see a video of it since it was under constant guard.  The
thing is  worth about $40,000.  (Because its a prefab of the chip.)  The G4
will go for less than $5,000.  Unless Intel can release a 10,000 puter, PCs
are out of luck.  :)