Re: TI-H: mp3

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: mp3

Okay, I've got to mention this... trying to make myself useful on this
list...
    There's no such thing as a digital bitstream -> mp3 compressor... it's an
encoder.  You want to compress a bit/byte stream?  use a ZIP utility, or
stuffit, or tar/gzip, or whatever applies to your platform.  But encoding is
NOT compressing.  It just so happens that mp3 encoding results in a smaller
file size, which was the intended result.

CK

Grant Stockly wrote:

> >Joseph M. Geiss wrote:
> >
> >> yah, its easy to compress it but, damn, its a pain to decompress(play)
> >>it on a
> >> slow computer.
> >
> >Actually it takes a lot more CPU time to compress than to decompress.
> >Only
> >decompression has to be realtime, so it can seem more demanding. You can
> >compress an mp3 on an old 386 if you want, it'll just take a few weeks
> >:)
>
> If a good compressor were made...  :\
>
> >> I have an old 486 laptop that i use every so often and it takes like
> >>10min to load
> >> a damn file.
> >
> >Really? There shouldn't be much of a 'load' time associated with an
> >mp3.. it usually
> >loads a small amount of the file into DRAM at a time, as it plays.
> >
> >> I read in some artice that MP4 would be 2x of MP3, 500K/min. with the
> >>same quality
> >> as mp3. seems to good to be true... time will tell
> >
> >Yeah, but MP4 will require even more CPU power to encode/decode.
> >
> >Do you live in the Baltimore area? Your e-mail address is from a local
> >library...
> >I'm up in Westminster. Small world, huh? :)
> >
> >--
> >Bryan Rittmeyer
> >mailto:bryanr@flash.net
> >http://www.flash.net/~bryanr/