Re: TI-H: Electronics junk

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Electronics junk

>I was looking at some schematics and have 2 questions:
>1. How does a relay work?  I know it's some kind of switch but thats
all

I think there are several types but a simple one is is similar to this:
there is an electromagnet on the 1st circuit, and, when activated, it
pulls a contact towards it closing (or opening) the second circuit.  So
now you can do stuff like power the little electromagnet with a low
voltage circuit and use it to control a high voltage application.

leads to 1st circuit            leads to second circuit
                 ______    ______
                      ||  |
                 ------    ------

|| is electromagnet, / is switch... I guess in this example there should
be a spring to move the switch back after the electromagnet goes off...
no space to draw it in...

>2: IN these schematics, it shows where +12V goes into the system but
>doesn't show where -volts goes.  Should it go where the schematics show
>ground (I think it's ground, It's a inverted pyramid made with
horizontal
>lines or a tornado) eg.
>--------
> ------
>  ----
>   --

yup, that's ground... if all you need is +V and ground, then you can
usually just use the -V as ground... at least that works for *most* of
my crude (ok very crude ;) ) circuits... or to be safe you can build a
small voltage regulator circuit (1 78xx, 2 caps) and have a real
ground...

Muhammed