Re: TI-H: Joystick connector

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Joystick connector

Robert Brack wrote:

> It wouldn't really matter whether it was a 9 or 15 pin, but mine is a
> 15-pin.  I found a joystick that I'm going to use, it is a SMALL 1in. X 1in.
> X 2 in.!  Basically,  whenever the joystick is moved, a relay is pulled and
> then any key (whichever you solder the relay to) is pressed.  Pretty simple.

Using relays sounds pretty awkward. They use lots of power (compared to
e.g. transistors) and take up much space. Besides, I doubt that people will
want to mess with the internals of their calcs just to get a joystick
connected to it.

> Since joysticks have a calibration knob, this idea will work.  As for a
> gamepad. . .  You would need a special port just for it.  You would have to
> double the wires going to the gamepad, because they will have to diectly
> short the keys.  I will have plans soon for a port that can be used by both,
> with a modification to the gamepad.  Since a 15-pin port would be hard to
> put on a TI-86 (or any other calc) and getting the cover to fit, I am going
> to use a small phone (or any other) port that will fit, but I will have to
> make an adapter.  I'm working on an interface for the link port, but I
> haven't gotten that far, and I don't know if there are enough people who
> would want that.  If you have any suggestions or comments, e-mail me at
> reb@netride.com or, just reply to this message.

I think using the link port is much more feasible, as it doesn't involve
the risk of breaking your calc. Another option, as someone suggested, is to
make a small stick and stick it to the center of the cursor keys, so that
it presses the keys when it is moved. I think someone has already tested
this, but I'm not sure.

-Ozone

--
*** Osma Suominen *** ozone@clinet.fi *** http://www.clinet.fi/~ozone ***