Re: TI-H: USB Link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: USB Link

And guess what?  There's no money in emulation!
I won't buy a machine so that I can buy an extra piece of software which will THEN
allow me to run all the latest apps.  G3 is nice, fine.  But under a real OS, such
as Linux, the Mac is screwed.  Default mouse design only has 1 button.  YOU NEED
THREE in any X11 environment.
EVERYTHING runs through the CPU (sound, modem, etc.)  DSPs, while cheap, suck like
Monica under Bill's desk.
And by the way, cockroaches might not be superior, but they'll live through a
global thermonuclear war.  All the G3's in the world won't get you out of that.
Prime examples of why emulation won't survive for seriouis purposes.
Unimportant freeware dies.  Linux is important.  It provides a powerful OS.
Lynx/Netscape provide internet material for the masses (and us as well)
however, wine, basically a porting of the Win32 API to Linux, is still in alpha
stage, because no one is paying for it, and few ppl really care all that much.
BUT...
Executor allows us to run software for a MODERN computer.  A PC emulation package
does the same.  Who buys Executor?  Nobody.  It gets pirated.
iNES.  Also rarely purchased.  NESticle, and now other emulation efforts are
killing that costly package.
Anything that emulates unique hardware dies unless it's given away, and anything
that few ppl use also dies, due to lack of profit OR interest.
Give it up.  In a few years, I can emulate a Mac emulating a PC emualting an NES
on my cluster here at home.  Hell, I can probably give it a shot right now,
provided I can tie in each and every box that I own and will own by the end of the
year.  And do you know something?  No one will care that I can do this.
Btw, when one CPU can run circles around another, OF COURSE EMULATION WILL BE
FASTER!  That's why I can emulate an old Amstrad machine on a P2-233 with speed to
spare.  With the superior performance of a G3, emulation is expected to work
better.
And by the way, how well do you expect this emulation to work so well when
Microsoft can hardly make their OS run on the NATIVE hardware?  NT5 is so large
that ppl have lost entire hard drives to it.
Just my 4 cents
CK

Grant Stockly wrote:

> >>Just because cockroaches outnumber humans, that doesn't mean they are a
> >>superiour being.  :P
> >>
> >>Grant
> >
> >Heh, grant, you are living a futile crusade.  Just give up while your
> >head is still above water :)...  I don't know ONE engineer, or
> >engineering student for that matter, that EVER talks about macs or
> >even considers getting one.  Does that tell you something?  Lemme
> >guess, they're all misinformed as to the the power of the
> >awe-inspiring macintrash...  Who gives a rat's ass how good they are,
> >I know I don't :).
> >
> >There, I'm done, we all know the score, time to move on :).
>
> Oh well...  :)  Protel runs faster on a 300MHz mac than on a 233MHz PC, and
> thats *emulation*.

Follow-Ups: References: