Re: TI-H: Motion control and a UNIVERSAL Interface

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Richard Piotter wrote:

> Putting a microcontroller on it would be as overkill as putting a quad
> processor, 275MHz PowerPC addon board to a TI-92 and plugging it in to a
> 21" monitor, just to play Interstate 76 with 40 other people accross the
> world wide web!!!   (=   (=   (=

I think we have to be careful when talking about the disadvantages to putting
a microcontroller into a calculator device. It is true that the first
MCU-using
expander was never even started and that so far only two devices that I know
of
use a MCU (my EuP and several prototypes Mel Tsai has constructed) - and
furthermore these cannot currently be constructed by the average hacker
(though,
once I release my firmware that will change.)

However, back to my point - Adding in a SMALL but ADEQUATE MCU to a
project like an expander or IR link makes things quite a bit simpler. Instead
of studying
hardware datasheets you can write and then EASILY customize the firmware. Its
not
so easy to program with a soldering iron, if you follow. Yes, MCUs do add a
bit of
complexity to a project, however, I think overall they make themselves very
worthwhile.

On the other hand, I do think that some people have gone a bit overboard
(read: Cliff
Biffle and Mel Tsai with his EIII composite video and 8 bit sound card) ;-\

Bryan Rittmeyer
bryanr@flash.net