TI-H: Motion control and a UNIVERSAL Interface

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Motion control and a UNIVERSAL Interface

>What do you plan on using with the interface?

Anything you want, and that is why it's so cool!

>BTW, if it works, that may be something for Mel to add to his Expander.

Not realy. His expander gives you basic memory expansion or extra
features, but it would be pointless. The best thing would be to have the
device plug into the calc because it doesn't use any special comands or
anything. It is a straight data Reading/Writing device. You give it a
piece of 8-bit data, an 8-bit address and a high or low address line,
and a R/W line, and you have it running. You could have a library or
driver send the stuff to the I2C chips to output and then programs
wouldn't have to worry about anything other than the address, data, and
R/W lines. No commands, No controlers. Only an I2C driver to relay those
simple bits of data through the I2C chips and back into simple bits of
data! Probably the first interface that DOESN'T need a micro controler
to run smoothly and efficiently. Why the hell do you think it is called
the UNIVERSAL COMPUTER EXPANDER BOARD!  (=

Putting a microcontroller on it would be as overkill as putting a quad
processor, 275MHz PowerPC addon board to a TI-92 and plugging it in to a
21" monitor, just to play Interstate 76 with 40 other people accross the
world wide web!!!   (=   (=   (=

>I wish you luck on it =3D)

Thanks! I have the main board etched, but never put all the parts on it.
I think it might be time to finnish!

>2 other things:

>1) I believe I saw you talking about stereo speakers, have you made or
>designed any that worked?  Also, do you have TI driver source for it?
(I
>would like to port it to the 86)

The Stereo earphones are not my design. I got it off of ticalc.org. If
we get the amplified speakers to work, then you could make a stereo cart
or maybe have an earphone plug that supports stereo. If you just want
stereo earphones, connect one speaker to the data (tip or red on link,
top right on SPinTerface) and the other to the clock (middle or white on
link, bottom right on SPinTerface). The groung connects to the gnd (base
or bare on link, bottom, second right on SPinTerface)

>2) Would you mind if I took your SPinterface page, and rewrote it to
fit
>the 86's design? (Credit given of course).

It isn't required, because the SPinTerface is identical for all calcs.
You just need to find a suitable location for it. The TI-85 and TI-82
instalations are identical. 83 and 86 instalations are probably
different from 82/85, but they are identical to each other. The TI-92 is
far different, but quite easy to install the SPinTerface onto. The big
space under the back panel (not the cover, but the panel that covers the
4 batteries) allows space for tons of upgrades. The parts all fit
perfectly into that area, and the connector can protrude from the case
next to the link port. You just need to run wires from the link port
connector and the batteries to the SPinTerface circuitry. I have only
seen the inside of a TI-83 once, and it was brief, just to clean wet
sand out of it (= !!! I don't know exactly how much space there is due
to the narrow, ergonomic bottom, but I'm sure it can protrue at an angle
or out the side. If you want it to protrude from the bottom, you could
cut a little back and bend out a small piece of the side. You could then
glue small pieces of plastic to cover the side of the connector

   \________________/_| <--/
                 |____| <----connector

>If so, may I have the driver
>source for the SPinterface as well so that I can port that to the 86?

Do you know how to port link software from 85 to 86? If so, then you
already know how to port the SPinTerface, because it is not a "new" type
of port. It is just a BETTER link port. The only difference is that it
contains a 5v power source and allows dirrect connection to the battery,
which makes battery expansion, calc "jumper cables," daisy chaning of
devices and calcs, and the adding of power packs easy to do. Its built
in power supply allows cartridges to be built. Things no longer need a
separate power supply and batteries.

There is no software to port for the SPinTerface only. Only link
software, because the SPinTerface simply attaches to the link port's
connections.

I hope that clears things up and says why I am so excited about this
project, no matter what people say, and thanks to those who wish me luck
or help on this project!!!   (=

Richard Piotter

e-mail: richfiles@hotmail.com

home page: <A