Re: TI-H: Reform - and my I2C drivers

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Richard Piotter wrote:

> I write long, so if you want the big idea for this post, read my last
> paragraph first. Then read the beginning if you like.

That was really a good text...you're a bit too enthusiastic sometimes, but
you have the right attitude.

Now, I was making my I2C drivers a while ago, but then people on this list
didn't seem to be interested in them and I effectively abandoned the
project. The newest version that I have is very complete, but it still
needs some work to be done. I think I could finish those during my
Christmas holidays if I want, but I'd like to know if anyone cares. If no
one does care, I'll just forget about the whole thing, and maybe finish
them some later time or never.

My MultiMaster I2C routines are a sort of network protocol to the TI-85. I
could summarize their features like this:

What they will be:

- a way to connect many (>100) calcs together
- need only straight wires (2 data pins + ground), no hubs,
  microcontrollers etc.
- I2C and Extended I2C (XI2C) compatible
- useful for sending data both between calcs, and between a calc and an
  I2C/XI2C chip
- a chunk of ASM source code that is customizable with TASM #define's
- at first available to the TI-85
- don't need the SPinTerface (but it can be used)
- error correcting between calcs (transparent to the application using the drivers)

What they will not be:

- compatible with the TI protocol (except for the hardware)
- available for the TI-92 (unless someone else does the programming)
- very fast (about 2kB/sec bandwidth between calcs, 3kB/sec when talking to I2C chips)

What they might be:

- available for the 8x series of calcs (the porting should be quite easy)
- finished soon
- useful with IR or radio links, if someone develops one that works and
  doesn't depend on the TI protocol

I know there are other networking schemes around. I don't want to say my
project is better than those, but I think people would appreciate the low
cost of this system.

I'd love to hear comments from you.

-Ozone

--