Re: TI-H: SPinterface

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: SPinterface

JUSTIN BOSCH wrote:

> Why doesn't someone make a radio link cartridge?  I really don't know
> anything about electronics but if it uses less power than an IR link
> than why not?

As I'm sure Mel Tsai will happily tell you, RF electronics are nothing
to sneeze at. The math is extremely complicated, then of course there
are the high frequency RF transistors and such which are not always easy
to get at your local Radio Shack (which seems to be the favorite
supplier of most of the people on this list) And then there is the FCC
and a lot of other hassles.

In any case, designing an RF link from scratch, as you'd most likely
have to do, is nothing to take lightly. You could always hack
some duplex walkie talkie transceivers or something, but then you
would surely not manage to fit the device on a SPinterface module,
and you'd end up with a materials bill of $100 or more.

I can't think of any real advantages to an IR or RF link, when you
factor in the difficulty building these devices would present. The
best option IMHO would be to convert the TI protocol to standard
RS-232(C), as the Graph Link does, perhaps at 2400 or less (since
any kind of wireless link is extremely prone to errors) using a PIC
instead of the commercial graph link, and then send/rec the data
via RS-232C IR/RF transceivers, which have already been designed
and are availible as kits, and in any case are much easier to
redesign than an RF or IR link using TI's protocol.

Regards,

Bryan Rittmeyer
bryanr@flash.net

Follow-Ups: References: