Re: TI-H: IR Link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: IR Link

Tim Gerla wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Oct 1996 19:24:35, -0500, you wrote:
> >No, in fact this WOULD be easy.  All you need to do is get two 556
> >timers, and hook them up so that they occilate at a HIGH frequency,
> >one slightly different than the other.  (You do NOT need to even
> >THINK about wavelengths)  Then hook up a detector (GP1U52X -- R.S.
> >Cat. No. 276-137; Includes everything you need to know, and
> >schematics, which would only need to be modified slightly for our
> >purposes) to two 567 Tone Decoders, one to detect each frequency.
> >Believe it or not, this can all be done with 2  NE556 Timer Chips and
> >2 567 Tone Decoders (and of course, the IR detector module and a few
> >other components).  This circuit IS relatively small, especially when
> >on a PC board.
> >Hmm... I think I'll try to build a prototype this week.
>
> Sounds excellent. Just one note -- I've seen a NE558, which is a
> *quad* 555 timer. It's in a 14 or 16 dip, I can't remember right now,
> but anyway, I don't know the pinout of the 558 chip, but maybe I'll
> try and get the datasheet soon. This could reduce the parts count
> slightly. Well, good luck and let me know what happens with your
> prototype!

I'm seeing three possibilities in building the link:

1. Very simple link, just a transmitter and a receiver in the link port

+ Cheap and easy to build
+ With a well-designed protocol, can do quite much, even link many TI:s
together
+ Might be built inside the TI's case if small enough
+ Might be used without external batteries (not sure about this)
- Not compatible with the internal link protocol of the TI
- Needs own special software

2. Link with 556 timers

+ Should still be quite cheap
+ Compatible with the internal protocol but also with any other
protocols one wants to use, like I2C
+ Making software should be easy
+ It should be possible to play games not designed for this link over
the link

3. Link with a microcontroller

- Not too cheap
+ Compatible with the internal protocol
+ Might have e.g. error correction built-in, maybe even other devices in
the same system like a serial and/or parallel port
+ Software building easy (except for the microcontroller; maybe I could
handle that?)
+ Games; same as above

So, what do you think? I'd vote for 2 or 3...
Criticism welcome, of course...I'm not a god who knows everything. :)

-Ozone

<pre>
--
*** Osma Suominen *** <a href="mailto:ozone@clinet.fi">ozone@clinet.fi</a> *** http://www.clinet.fi/~ozone