[TIB] Re: Get/Send Command in Basic

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

[TIB] Re: Get/Send Command in Basic

It's actually very difficult to use the Get and Send commands in Basic
to do anything even remotely action oriented.

As Pandrogas said, these commands aren't really meant to provide
connectivity between calcs, they're there to retrieve and send data from
  a CBL or CBR unit. That being said, I'll tell you this: I too once
tried to make a multiplayer game, and looked into the usage of the get
and send commands. What found was that these commands are really only
functional if each calc was waiting at a pause with the appropriate
command. Thus, you'd have to know what command other calc is waiting for
at the moment you wanted to send or get a variable, which is nearly
impossible to work out in any kind of action game. Even running a simple
RPG in this way is slow and cumbersome.

I forget the usage of GetCalc, but I believe the other calc needs to be
paused in order for it to return a variable, so you're left with the
same situation as with the get and send commands.

So follow the advice of the others, if you're really serious about
getting linkplay to work, get an ASM routine, as the Basic commands just
won't cut it.

-c.j.w

Zach Tong wrote:
> so...i'm looking into making a multiplayer titan (mech) game.  How would i implement this?  I'm pretty sure i have to use the Get() and Send()
> commands, but not sure the exact syntax.  I'm creating the game for 83/83+.
>
> An additional note...if i want the game to be compatible for both, i cant use 83 ASM can i?  I have the 83, but all my friends have the +
> version.  Thanks!
>

> -Zach

Follow-Ups: References: