Re: TIB: BFS Final game

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: BFS Final game

ETTamme1@aol.com wrote:

>         hey guys ive finished developing an rpg engine that is matrix based for the
> level design, and i use two lists to store the wall edge variables. If you
> move the cursor, 0->x  0->y It repeats a loop where it adds one to each x and
> y then say while  new cursorx =x1 and new cursory =y1  then  if x=x1 and y=y1
> then store the old cursor var as the new cursor var so it dosent let you go
> through the wall, this repeats until it has gone through EVERY possible set of
> coordinates of the edge of the wall.  Now depending on the level setup, there
> can be as many as 150 different sets of coordinates to check before it ends
> the loop and continues the program!!, as you may have guessed, this is DEATHLY
> SLOW !!! I am stumped on how to make it faster,  I am tempted to make a side
> scrolling action game instead of an rpg because the only vars that you would
> have to store vor the level are the ground and a few enemies on each screen.
> If this is cool with you guys, let me know.  Otherwise i might be able to
> figure out how to make this thing go faster.  If you have any questions about
> the [rogram or are confused about the code, i will send it to you.  if you
> think you know how to speed it up A LOT, let me know.
>                         Eric Tamme

Okay, I got the program into my calc, and I can make it faster.  Before
I start messing with things though, I would like to know _exactly_ what
it is that you want this thing to do - step by step.  I can make the "O"
move faster pretty easily, and the displaying of all the stuff on the
screen can be optimized.  But what exactly is the matrix for?  Will the
numbers in the matrix (which I assume represent walls and stuff like
that) change, or is the matrix fixed?  From what you have, it looks like
they are fixed.  The reason for asking is because there may be a way of
getting rid of the matrix altogether and using some other method;
something that isn't so memory intensive.  Also, what do the lists
represent? Again, be as specific as possible, please.  If I was looking
at this thing right, x and y are used only in the drawing of the symbols
to the screen. After everything is drawn, they are not used, correct?
Okay, it looks like the c variable is used to represent the row that you
are on, starting at the top and increasing as you go down, and d is the
column, increasing left to right.  Not quite clear on the a and b,
though.  They look like they are used to find numbers in the various
lists.  What about e and f?

Jody Snider
jody1@alaska.net