Re: TIB: Re: Multitasking

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TIB: Re: Multitasking

Michael Van Der Kolk wrote:
[...]

Well, it seems that we agree then, after all :)

> The Towers of Hanoi are rather large structures of stone in Vietnam. The
> Towers of Hanoi are also a child's game were one moves a stack of seven
> (varies) discs, which are each slightly smaller than the previous one.
> The object is to move the tower to a different peg (out of 3) by moving
> one disc at a time while never allowing larger disc on top of smaller
> disc. As such a game is merely repetitive with a simple solution. However
> as more disc come into play the longer it takes...

The "computer scientifical" Towers of Hanoi story goes like this:
God once placed three diamond monoliths beside each other, and placed 64
golden disks (holes in the middle) on one of them, every disk smaller
than the one below it.
His priests got the following orders:
Move one disk each day, from one monolith to another.
Never place a disk on top of a smaller disk.
Use these rules to move the entire stack to another monolith.

It is said that when the priests finish, the world goes under.

Luckily, this will take 2^64-1 days = 18,446,744,073,709,551,615

Let's say the Earth is approximately 4,500,000,000 years old, and that
it was right after the creation he did it :)

(365,25 days/year)*(4,5*10^9 years) ~ 1.643625e12 days

...which should render us safe for the next ~ 50,000 trillion years :)

 - But it's an interesting thing to ponder (2^x)

--
          Rene Kragh Pedersen
Apparently my clothes are defective.