SD: UNIX on the TI8x

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SD: UNIX on the TI8x

A strange subset of UNIX actually exists, specifically designed for
small computers.  Its mostly for imbedded systems I think, but it is
specifically intended for Z80 processor based systems, which these
calculators are (the TI8xs, anyway).  The only problem would be that
there wouldn't be much space for programs on there when you'd finished,
but I'm sure it would be possible to do.  On another note, UNIX is
written in C... ...anyone want to write a C compiler specifically for
the TI82/85?  I picked up a copy of Kernighan and Ritchie's 'The C
Programming Language' from my public library recently for only 30c,
because they were throwing it out, and it contains a fairly full
specification of the language in it.  A lot of C compilers exist for the
Z80 for free, but you usually have to pay for the source code, and most
of them describe themselves as 'C--' or 'Small C', meaning they either
don't support floating-point numbers, structures, unions, etc.  It would
be nice to implement a fully fledged one, don't you think?

Cheers,
Dominic Cooney, coonsta@hotmail.com
"YOU'LL PAY TO KNOW WHAT YOU _REALLY_ THINK!" -J.R. 'BOB' DOBBS