Re: Base 2 and HEX

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Base 2 and HEX

>I would like to be able to get log base 2 of an integer conveniently
>and optionally display the answer in binary, hex, or decimal.  Is
>there a TI model that will do that?

On the TI-86:
log 359/log 2 = 8.48784003382
log 359/log 2>Bin = 1000b
log 359/log 2>Hex = 8h
On the TI-89/92+:
ln(359)/ln(2) = 8.48784003382

For Bin and Hex it turns out the 89/92+ refuses to make the convertion for
anything but integers, whereas the 86 just automatically chops the decimal
off.  Though there are programming tricks you could use to negate this
problem, it seems the 86 is the best TI graphing calculator if that is the
only thing you are ever going to use it for.  Also of note is that the TI-34
scientific calculator has base convertions, for no doubt much less than an
86 costs.

>If it is overkill to buy a Palm Pilot, the high end TI calculators
>must be less expensive.  Is that right?

The 86 is about $120, the 89 $150, and the 92+ $180.  Palms are what, $300?