Re: Help buying a calculator

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help buying a calculator

On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, STL137 wrote:

> <<I'm a 9th grade student looking to buy a graphing calculator, but I know
> nothing about this sort of thing. I'll need it to be able to do

Response:
> BAD IDEA. Don't get sucked into this trap. It all depends on what math you're
> in. I would strongly, STRONGLY advise you not to get anything above a TI-86 if
> you can't do Calculus yet. And if you're not proficient in Algebra (I mean to
> the point where you can breathe it), then don't get a graphing calculator at
> all. Get a TI-85 or 86 when you're very good with Algebra and going on to Trig,
> etc. Get a TI-92 when you're past the basics of Calculus (integration and
> differentiation). And then, USE IT SPARINGLY! Don't let the calculator think
> for you. I've avoided this fate, but I know people who can't differentiate a
> thing without their 92 - bad, bad, bad. Only get a calculator when you can do
> most everything that it can do - and then, don't use it to do
anything you
> can't do yourself.

I don't entirely agree with this response.  It is very important that one
doesn't use a calculator (graphing or otherwise) as a crutch.  But, if
used as a tool, a good qrapher can enhance the process of learning
algebra.

For example, in the study of various functions.  Once a student
understands the process of constructing a graph by hand, the graphing
functions on a good calculator is great.  Being able to
first graph a function, and then make subtle changes to the function, and
immediately observe the results can speed the learning process.

For example, the graphs of x^2, -x^2 and 3x^2.  A  beginning student to
is able to quickly see the differences.  (They can all be graphed on the
same screen, for comparison.)

Being able to graphically support an analytical solution is also quite
useful (and instructive).

Again, it must be a tool, not a crutch.  But, I don't agree that a student
need to have mastered the subject prior to incorporating a graphing
calculator into the learning process.

But, which calculator to use?  That's a tough one.  The 83, 86 and 89 are
all good calculators.  (There are other good ones too.) If I were going to
buy one for the first time, I'd check out the TI website pretty carefully.

Most of the entry level students I come into contact with are using the
TI-83.  It seems to serve them pretty well.

Frank