Re: Help buying a calculator

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help buying a calculator

<<I'm a 9th grade student looking to buy a graphing calculator, but I know
nothing about this sort of thing. I'll need it to be able to do
everything from Algebra to Calculus, and maybe more (I'd like it to
last). I was wondering if anyone would be so gracious as to help me make
a decision, and answer a question for me:
-Does the programming language differ from Ti-8x model to model?
Any help is greatly appreciated, and Thank You.

BAD IDEA. Don't get sucked into this trap. It all depends on what math you're
in. I would strongly, STRONGLY advise you not to get anything above a TI-86 if
you can't do Calculus yet. And if you're not proficient in Algebra (I mean to
the point where you can breathe it), then don't get a graphing calculator at
all. Get a TI-85 or 86 when you're very good with Algebra and going on to Trig,
etc. Get a TI-92 when you're past the basics of Calculus (integration and
differentiation). And then, USE IT SPARINGLY! Don't let the calculator think
for you. I've avoided this fate, but I know people who can't differentiate a
thing without their 92 - bad, bad, bad. Only get a calculator when you can do
most everything that it can do - and then, don't use it to do anything you
can't do yourself.

Yes - the programming languages on all TIs differ. The 85 and 86 are quite
similar. The 92, 92+, and 89 are also quite similar. I believe the same holds
for the (gag) 82 and 83. Don't know about the (gag gag gag) 81 and 80.

-*---*-------
S.T.L.  ==> STL137@aol.com <==  My quotes page is at:  http://quote.cjb.net
~~~ My main website is at:  http://137.tsx.org ~~~
If you see a message of mine posted on two newsgroups, then it is because I
have replied to a crossposted message. I *never* crosspost of my own accord!
I block all unapproved E-mail. If you wish to talk to me, post to alt.test.9
with the subject "Moo" and your E-mail address in the body. I will allow you
as soon as I sign on next.
"This universe is not hostile, or yet is it friendly. It is simply
indifferent" - John H. Holmes, The Sensible Man's View of Religion

Follow-Ups: References: