Re: Fractals

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fractals

> are there any fracal programs that will run on an 82, if anyone knows.
> i have the terpinski triangle one already.
>                Dave Browne
>                 Alpaca2500@aol.com
>                  "Cuidado Las Llamas"

Mmm, that's "Sierpinski" -- a noted Polish mathematician.

Several years ago, when the TI-81 was new, I wrote a program on that
calculator to generate (very, very slowly) crude views of the Mandelbrot
set. Maybe something of a tour-de-force, but not a lot of fun.

Of course this program would run on the TI-82 also, and even better on
the TI-83 if you took advantage of the complex arithmetic. You would still
be looking at hours of running time to generate a single screen, however.
That compares with seconds or less to draw great pictures, in color,
of arbitrary regions of the set, using the shareware program Fractal
Domains on a Power Mac.

RWW Taylor
National Technical Institute for the Deaf
Rochester Institute of Technology
Rochester NY 14623