Re: TI-89 virtue email needed

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-89 virtue email needed

you say learn the teachers method and forget them to learn the calculators method.  are you saying on the 89, the calculator actually acts as a teacher and SHOWS you how it does it's calculations.  for some reason, i'm thinking not.

so how exactly does the calculator teach you a newer, better method?

At 12:50 AM 9/2/98, you wrote:
>Should the TI-89 or TI-92+ be used in mathematics classes?
>
>About 20 years ago I was teaching a pre-calculus course to high school seniors.
>One of my students, the second smartest person I ever met on this planet,
>stopped
>me between classes. He said to me something like the following: "That
>method for solving exponential equations you showed us today I will never,
>and I mean NEVER EVER use. If you have a moment I will show you how you a
>better way." He did show me a better way and I told him I will never and I
>mean NEVER EVER use that old method again either. That old method involved
>working with the characteristic and the mantissa of logarithms. His method
>used a calculator. This new method with its' speed, accuracy, and pure
>elegance compared to the slowness, the yielding of only four or five
>digits, and quite frankly uninspiring older  method gave no doubt to me
>that things were a changing for the better. He told me that if I wished he
>would do the old method for any test or quiz I choose to give. But come a
>day when he needed to solve exponential equations out in an applied area he
>would use his calculator not my old method.
>
>Going back even further. About 40 years ago when was in 7th grade I was
>taught to compute square roots by a method that looked kind of like a
>protracted long division problem. I believe it was called Hohner's Method.
>I learned it well enough to do the problems on the tests that year but when
>it came to 8th grade I forgot it and I had to relearn it.  Over the next
>summer I forgot it and sure enough in 9th grade we got it again in class. I
>relearned again and forgot it again. In 10th grade we didn't have it but in
>11th grade we did. I had to relearn it again and forgot it again. My dad
>had some math books that had better methods. One method was the "divide and
>average" method the other was using a slide rule. I learned those methods
>and I haven't forgotten those either.
>
>So what does this have to do with using TI-89 or TI-92+ calculators? The
>Key Number method for factoring polynomials, completing the square for
>solving quadratic equations, and synthetic division tableaus in polynomial
>theory are these the Hohner and characteristic and  mantissa methods of
>tomorrow?  Many of the things we math teachers make you students do will be
>a waste of time in light of what can be done with a  TI-89 or TI-92+
>calculator today. In all fairness to the past, present, and future math
>teachers how are they to know what will be important for the future and
>what will not be. Personally I don't care if a student uses a calculator or
>not or which calculator he/she chooses to use in any of my math classes. If
>speed and accuracy are important then by all means use a calculator, the
>best calculator you can afford. Today that would be a TI-89 or TI-92+. Why
>settle for any thing less?

> [...]

{-kimo-}

Summers never live up to your expectations . . .
-kimo