Re: Prime 5 multiple calc

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Prime 5 multiple calc

Oooh, a PRIME5 question. I'm the author, so I'll take this.
PRIME5 uses absolutely *no* link protocols. No central server, no nothing. If
you'd kindly read the large, descriptive, and useful documentation I
painstakingly created, then you'd know... here, I'll copy it for ya. :-D

PRIME5D:
The Distributed Calculating Program
This is also EXACTLY LIKE PRIME5, except for two things. First of all,
if you wish to have this on your calculator, you're going to pay with
52 bytes, as compared to PRIME5. PRIME5D is not faster than PRIME5,
(as PRIME5B was). What PRIME5D *does* let you do is truly nifty. Here's
how it works. PRIME5D allows you to spread the often time consuming
task of factoring/primality testing a number over many TI-85s! First,
PRIME5D is loaded onto several calculators. Then, each starts it, and
enters in the number to be tested. THEN, (and this is the new part),
each calculator must choose a chunk of work to take. When it asks for
Start# and End#, each calculator must choose a range. One calc's range
has to start at 4, and another calc's range has to end at 51. Remember
those numbers. Attempt to make the ranges as equally large as possible.
For example, say three people with TI-85s want to work on 17439280249.
They each enter it in, then the people choose these ranges:
Al: 4 to 19
Bob: 20 to 35
Carl: 36 to 51
Lowest number is the Start#, highest is the End#. All the numbers
between 4 and 51, inclusive, have to be worked on by someone. Also,
no one should overlap with anyone else's work. That is why Al stops
working at 19 and Bob starts at 20. Get the idea? :-D With 3 people,
PRIME5D will go 3x as fast as PRIME5. With 10 people, PRIME5D will go
10x as fast as PRIME5. NIFTY! If you wish to make PRIME5D operate
exactly like PRIME5 (single calc use), choose a range of 4 to 51. If
you use PRIME5D, please see the note below....
Oh yeah. PRIME5D won't say "Prime", because that might mislead you.
What it says, is "No factor found." If all the TI-85 calculators
working on a number report no factor found, then you may conclude
it is prime (IF AND ONLY IF all the numbers in the range 4 to 51
inclusive get worked on by someone.)
And if you try to use numbers outside the range of 4 to 51, or
nonintegers, PRIME5D won't be too happy. I refuse to waste space
writing code that detects noninteger values or values outside
the range 4 to 51.
Oh yeah. No calculator linking is involved! Yay!

See that last line? Kewl. Hope this helps.
Thank you for using PRIME5!
------
STL137@aol.com  ===>  Website: http://members.aol.com/stl137/
PGP keys: ~~~pgp.html Quotes: ~~~quotes.html
"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of
tyranny over the mind of man" - Thomas Jefferson

Follow-Ups: References: