Re: Ti-89 Died

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ti-89 Died

STL137
>Writing? To CMOS? Why, isn't that a software thing?
Sure it's software and the EPROM programs are as well

>Damaging hardware means you destroy it forever: smashing the processor to
bits
Alright, but then let's call it "for the normal user unrepairable damages"
Just to be sure: Does my computer need to vaporise before you accept it as
hardwarely damaged?!? Do you work in an insurance company ;-)

>If the old data is simply written to the CMOS, the computer is fine again.
Which means you need good soldering skills, an EPROM writer, a computer to
control it and a copy of the old data. Not because of CMOS - most computers
restore CMOS after for instance battery failure. The problem is the flash
BIOS EPROM.

To restore the EPROM "normal users" needs to bring the computer or
calculator (or cdrom, scsi controller, modem, cdr, dvd, video, satelite
receiver...) to techinal support.

And normally it's a cheaper solution to buy a new motherboard or what
ever...
May I conclude: Even though the damage is teoretically repairable they
aren't practically (repaired).

Kasper