Re: Pi

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pi

>PI=4(1-1/3+1/5-1/7+1/9-1/11...)

I showed this to my math teacher and class a few years ago, and had this
algorithm going on a viewscreen for about two weeks of class periods. On an
82, it started misconverging on about the sixth decimal place.

>BTW, I have Carl Sagan and his book 'Contact' to thank for this...
>although I can't find the ones and zeroes in his later chapters. :-)

Remember - base 11!!!

Ok, here's a little paradox:

"The numerals in this sentence are written in base 9."

doesn't work, because in that base, there is no numeral "9", similarly for
any other base. Therefore, "...base 10" is the only legal way to complete
the sentence, since by definition, it means 1*base+0*1. Therefore, it
doesn't convey any information, since _any_ base, written in its own base,
is "10" - two in binary is "10", etc. So "base 10" is absolutely
meaningless!
Roger Wolfson
http://home.earthlink.net/~rogerw7979
rogerw7979@earthlink.net