Re: Calculating e

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Calculating e

It's not useful because we already KNOW what e is to at least as many
decimal places as you're ever going to get with that program.  I said it's
educational because you kind of get to see the process of calculating e,
but you're right.  It's not educational, either.  Several different
methods of defining e have been in math books for decades, long before
there were calculators.  School teachers don't even bother much with
where e comes from, at least not at the high school level, they just
concentrate on using it.  So, using the calculator to approximate something
you already know is interesting, fun perhaps, but not educational or
useful.  Happy?