Re: Why not the TI-92?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Why not the TI-92?

In article <356df17b.1117723@nntp.ix.netcom.com>, floodle@usa.net says...

>>Midnight.
>
>        Technical superiority does not always make a device any
>individual person's favorite.  The TI-92 may have a processor twice as
>fast as an 8x and a much bigger display, but I personally find it to
>be rather, well, kludgey.  This is very subjective, but it is my
>opinion and I know of many people that share it.  It is large, but
>that means it is also bulky.  There are way too many buttons, and the
>orginization is not as logical as one might  think.  And despite all
>the  keys, some functions are still buried in menus.  The display
>seems extremely dim and making out things is quite difficult.
>
>        Some of these things are probably just due  to my own
>ignorance, and obviously some people will consider the  design format
>to be a plus.  And the QWERTY keyboard helps for text entry.  But
>guess what.   I have a computer if I need something with lots of
>bloated, overly glitzy software and  a qwerty keyboard.  And you can
>get pdas with regular keyboards that are much smaller than the  TI-92,
>which also have more memory, faster processors, etc.

As an alternative, one might consider an HP 200LX palmtop.  Extremely legible
display, small size, cheap PCMCIA storage option, and the ability to run MSDOS
programs (including derive, lotus123 for example) make this machine a serious
contender to the TI92. And yes, the 200LX has a numeric keypad!  (unlike all
other palmtops out there today)