random-number generator on TI-82 (and others?)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

random-number generator on TI-82 (and others?)

I have an 82, and was wondering how the random-number generator generates
its numbers. I assume that the same process is used on all TI calculators
with a "rand" function. I have extracted an extremely simple formula for
determining the first random number for any seed, but do not know how the
subsequent numbers are generated.
        Is the number used to find a new seed from which to get the next
number, or is it used directly in determining that next number? Or is
there some other, more complicated process?  And is there a formula for
it that's as simple as the formula for getting the first number for a
seed? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
        BTW, I don't use OSshell or ASH or anything. I need answers in
BASIC.
        If anyone's interested in the formula:
                1-fPart (NM) = J
                *N is the absolute value of the iPart of the seed
                *M is the constant .2544392277 (rounded somewhat)
                *J is the initial number generated with the seed N
                **note: this only works if N<>0

Thanks for any help,
Ben Przybyla
syzygy.bp@juno.com