Re: Chess for the 83

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Chess for the 83

Jody wrote:

> People! Think about what out you want the calc to do!
> It sounds like you want the computer to have some artificial
> intelligence - be able to make logical moves. In order to do this, it
> will have to look at ALL the possibilities of each player for at least
> 1 move. However, to be any good, it has to be able to look a couple
> moves in advance; and the number of possibilities to look at grows
> incredibly fast. I don't know if this is true, but somewhere I read
> that "Deep Blue" can only look seven moves in advance.

Errhh...seven moves is not _quite_ correct.

If you take a look at http://www.chess.ibm.com/press/html/g.6.1.html
you'll see a stunning 2*10^8 (yes, 200 *gulp* MILLION) board positions
evaluated per second.
In theory deep blue can - given enough time - evaluate the game to the
end. Maybe what you read was that it was able to contemplate 7 moves in
advance per second, I don't know.
NEwayz, no matter how you turn it, thinking beyond, say 20 moves, the
advantage gained will be less and less per extra move until the point is
reached where it doesn't really pay to keep thinking. Veteran chess
players don't just win by thinking ahead, they also win by "recognizing"
different situations (especially opening variants) and acting
accordingly.
A serious problem, when faced with limited programming space, is to keep
an "opening book" for your chess program, how to utilize it, what to
include and so on.

--
          Rene Kragh Pedersen
make fire