Re: Which TI should I get?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Which TI should I get?

Many teachers will not let their students use a TI-89 on tests. The reason
is the TI-89 does algebra the way lesser calculators do arithmetic and
many of these teachers don't know what to make of it.
The TI-89 and other symbolic calculators are the calculators of the next
century, which by the way starts in the year 2001. I let my students
use whatever they want, but I require/recommend the TI-86 at this time.
There are several reasons I can't require/recommend the TI-89 at this time.
The main reason being is that TI does not have all the support
software needed to teach with it. TI has been woefully negligent in support
of the Mac platform of late. Perhaps you should check with your teachers at
your school as to which calculator they will let you use on tests, if that
is important to you. If you want the best for Algebra, Trig, and Calculus
and most everything else get a TI-89. For statistics the TI-86 or TI-83 are
better at this time.

Good Luck

G. Wardall
UWGB