Re: HP's and TI's calculator output rate

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HP's and TI's calculator output rate

> First TI came out with the 81, then came out with the more powerful 85.
> But then what?  People thought that the 85 was too complicated (?!?),
> and TI took a step backward (IMO, anyway) and developed the 82.

  The 82 is useful more more algebraic needs than calculus needs. In my
school, 82 was suggested for Pre-calculus/Trig/Adv Algebra classes, and
the 85 was suggested for Calculus. The Algebra community didn't need the
extra stuff that the calculus students did, so they got a cheaper
version for their needs.

> And
> then they developed the 83, a better 82, but not quite an 85.
> Personally, I think that the time and development would have been better
> spent producing the 86 (which, aside from the better ASM support and
> increased memory, is pretty much an 85) or the 89.  The 86, I think, was
> long overdue...

  The 83 and 86 are updates of the 82 and 85. They were never meant to
be intermediate calculators, just updates with the ASM features and the
such. To draw a simple analogy, they'd be like v2.0 of the 82/85's
rather than the ROM updates which made it v1.5 or so. Upon their
release, my school changed it's calc recomendations to the 83/86.

 Anyway, that's just my two cents into the matter...

-Joseph

 Have A
  :-)
Nice Day