Re: People are too dependant on calculators

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: People are too dependant on calculators

>calculus is just a
> matter of understanding the concepts, which is what you lose when plugging
> in values into the calc.

I know the concepts behind differentiating
345x^2-23x^45+6x^2-2x+1/(x^2-5x+5) when I plug it into my calculator. So I
don't loose the concepts, and at the same time I make a very time
consuming process shorter.

If someone asked me to prove it by hand, I could. I think that is the
thing. Use a caluclator, but be ready to prove that you arent relying on
it, and that you can still the math excercise by other methods (in your
head, on paper, etc...)

-Justin Smith

Follow-Ups: References: