Re: People are too dependant on calculators

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: People are too dependant on calculators

Donald F McKay wrote:

[snip]

> Why don't you try to calculate x^5+2x^4+3x^3-x^2+10x-90=0 on paper and
> see how long it takes, it took me 13 SECONDS to do it on my TI-85.  Or
> remember 2 dozen formulas and know when to use them.
>
> Donald McKay
> donmckay@juno.com
>
> "Carpe diem" - Horace

Why don't you try to calculate x^2 - 2x - 3 on your TI-85, I'll be
finished
writing down before you're finished punching in + you have to copy it to
paper
afterwards...

You're not getting anywhere. McKay's point was that people often use
calculators
where they aren't essential!
Naturally, your equation is extremely well-suited for calculation by
machine, and
therefore does not apply to this dicussion.

--
          Rene Kragh Pedersen
.oO) Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk? (Oo.